It’s been about 3 weeks since E weaned himself. It hasn’t been an easy experience for
some of us me, but it’s been a learning experience.
- Here are 5 things I now know about weaning:
- Mood swings It feels like I’ve had really bad PMS for almsot 3 weeks. My poor husband. My body is no longer making as much (if any) prolactin. I imagine I’m not producing as much oxytocin either. Since oxytocin is responsible for those warm, snuggly, lovey feelings while breastfeeding, I believe that’s why I am so moody and sad.
- It’s okay to be sad Breastfeeding was more than just feeding my baby. As I said in the last post, it made me realize what I wanted to do with my life. Now that our nursing relationship is over, I have to admit that sometimes I feel a little directionless and that makes me kind of panicky. I also feel it’s okay to mourn the end of this time a little bit because we worked so hard to get here. The mood swings and sadness have made me kind of worried about depression setting in. I put my husband in charge of being my gauge. If I seemed off, it’s his job to hold me accountable and tell me to speak to a professional.
- He’s moving on E’s mostly over breastfeeding. He’ll occasionally ask me for milk, but he gets water and milk confused when he’s sleepy. A cup of water satisfies him. He does love the skin to skin contact and likes to lay his head on my stomach to fall asleep. Not so bad, unless I’ve just eaten a big meal.
- Phantom letdown I don’t know if this is a real thing (Google told me yes). When I lay down next to him I feel like I’m letting down, but there’s no milk coming out. My breasts also feel suddenly full when I walk into the bedroom with him to put him to sleep. My body still remembers. I love that.
Totally random, but wouldn’t Phantom Letdown be an awesome name for a band?
- Express yourself For the first week and a half, I had to hand express in the shower. I would do enough just to take the edge off and it helped. Thankfully I avoided plugged ducts or worse! I didn’t use anything to dry me up, it happened naturally. I did have a head of cabbage in my fridge just in case I needed it.
Things seem to be heading back to normal now. I’m feeling less moody for the most part, E is thriving and being a busy almost 2 year old. Rather than focusing on weaning, I’m focusing on the fact that we made it 21 months (and 9 days) despite our rough start and me working outside of the home. It wasn’t always easy, but it was worth all the agony. I would do it over again in a heartbeat!